Kundalini, according to William F. Williams, is a Hindu religious experience in which it is believed to be a form of “cosmic energy” that gathers at the base of the spine.
Before You Continue...
Do you know what is your soul number? Take this quick quiz to find out! Get a personalized numerology report, and discover how you can unlock your fullest spiritual potential. Start the quiz now!
Kundalini is said to rise up from the muladhara chakra, through the central nadi (called sushumna) inside or alongside the spine, to the top of the head when it is awakened. Kundalini is thought to move through the chakras, achieving various levels of awakening and mystical experiences until it reaches the summit of the head, the Sahasrara or crown chakra, where it produces an incredibly deep shift in consciousness.
How do you know if kundalini is activated?
Kundalini is the energy that gives you life. It is thought that unawakened people's energy remains coiled at the base of their spine. The energy spirals upward for people who have an awakening event and become conscious, activating each chakra and transforming the human into an enlightened guru.
Many people believe that Kundalini awakening is a path to complete nirvana, which is accurate to some extent. A Kundalini awakening is frequently discussed in spiritual circles because, before experiencing happiness, the energy must first cleanse and purify, and the resulting shifts can be unsettling at best and painful at worst.
A kundalini awakening might be one of life's most horrific and perplexing experiences. What you can't see at first is that you're actually going through a thorough purification process that will leave you stronger and more level-headed than you've ever been.
1. You begin an emotional reckoning process. You find your mind spinning over memories of old experiences that you either miss and regret not having, or that you mourn and regret having to go through in the first place.
2. You're releasing years of stored energy that have kept you from being present. This implies you'll spend a lot of time reflecting on the past, both what happened and what you wish had gone differently. This is the time to accept it and let go of it.
3. You may have bodily symptoms such as waking up at odd hours of the night, sweating, sobbing, or even a physical rush of energy up your spine.
4. You suddenly feel compelled to make significant changes in your life. This might involve anything from your food to your profession to the individuals with whom you spend your time. You are more than aware of what isn't functioning.
5. You become aware of how your mind has been the primary power keeping you from being present and happy. You begin to see how your ego has kept you stuck in a never-ending cycle of trying to please others “Prepare for the worst,” when it was actually a ruse to distract you from the present moment, where your energy is most powerful.
6. In your life, incredible synchronicities begin to arise. Things have a strange way of turning out and leaving you thinking, “hm, that was perfect.”
7. Your sympathetic abilities are stronger than they've ever been. It's as if you can think and feel exactly what another person is going through at the exact moment they are going through it. This may seem intimidating at first, but it's a sign that your third eye is opening and you're becoming more aware of your true essence, which is connectivity.
8. You have a great desire to spend as much time as possible outside, in nature.
9. You have a strong desire to declutter your life in as many ways as possible: broken relationships, messes in your home, outdated habits that hold you back… everything has to go.
10. You begin to seriously question many of the current systems and structures. You start to look at things like religion, politics, and tradition in new ways, recognizing the core need they serve in human people.
11. You've had an encounter “sporadic” outbursts of emotion In reality, you're dealing with unresolved feelings from the past.
12. You have an overwhelming desire to help people. You recognize that, because we are all fundamentally one, dedicating your life to helping others is the most honourable and rewarding thing you can do.
13. You become enraged for what you were given and didn't get, for all the anguish you did and didn't have to deal with. Eventually, your rage turns to acceptance as you recognize each aspect of your experience as a companion rather than a foe.
14. You understand that life has never happened to you; it has always been a mirror of you. What you put out into the world was exactly what you received in return.
15. You have a mystical, personal relationship with the divine. You perceive yourself as a god, and you see god in every other living human being.
16. You realize that you can't wait any longer to begin living because life is happening right now and has always been. You start to realize that you've been depriving yourself of happiness by waiting for it to start.
What happens when kundalini is fully awakened?
People are sometimes unprepared, or the process begins spontaneously without their knowledge. People who endure inner instability, total breakdown, or spiritual distress, resulting in a catastrophic life crisis, are examples of this. Disgraceful fitness and lifestyle behaviors, such as hard workouts, drug usage, abusive or traumatic situations, and so on, cause Kundalini energy to spontaneously emerge.
The immense strength of Kundalini Shakti energy, once awakened, radically transforms a person's life. He or she can go through a lot of social and emotional changes. Some people may even have a terrible prior experience or have personality swings on a regular basis. They would be able to transcend this inner trauma if properly directed by certain well-experienced masters and gurus, but if not, the outcome would be beyond terrible devastation in an otherwise easy-going life.
What happens when kundalini opens?
Kundalini energy sits like a coiled serpent at the base of the spine, according to Tantra. Kundalini awakening occurs when dormant energy flows freely upward via the seven chakras (energy centers) and leads to an expanded level of consciousness.
A kundalini awakening is a profound spiritual event for which yogis and practitioners prepare for years. The experience can occur deliberately through activities like as meditation, pranayama, yoga, and prayer, or it might occur unexpectedly. In the spiritual world, this form of awakening is very common, although in Western civilization, kundalini awakenings are regarded uncommon.
What does it feel like when kundalini rises?
Kundalini awakening is characterized by the following characteristics. Sensations of ‘energy' moving or imprisoned in specific regions of the body, most commonly the chakra points. This process may become ‘visible' to the experiencer in some way. The energy is too strong or uncomfortable to tolerate, and it is frequently accompanied by shaking, jerking, or spasms.
What are the stages of Kundalini awakening?
An old style of life will no longer work during a Kundalini Awakening. Personal crises, changes of attitude, tastes, likes, and dislikes can all occur in people.
This had already happened to me in the United States. For me, the life I was living there was insufficient. My feet were itchy, and my relationship began to come apart as I yearned for a new life. It wasn't enough that I lived in a beautiful little town with foxes, chipmunks, Aspen trees, and snow-capped mountains. I flew home on my own in the end. Life as I had left it didn't fit when I returned home. Things that used to make me happy were no longer making me happy. My gaze was drawn to a new horizon.
I became really ill, waking up one night with a fever and severe chills that rendered me unable to move or walk. I was transported to the hospital because I couldn't stand up on my own. With excruciating body aches (especially in my hips), fever, and physical weakness, I stayed there for two nights. I was eventually well enough to leave the hospital without a diagnosis after IV antibiotics, X-rays, and observation. I have no idea what was wrong with me to this day, but I believe it was one of the Kundalini Awakening Stages.
Can Kundalini cause psychosis?
Some authors claim that kundalini awakening, or its improper management, is a common cause of psychosis, while others claim that mental illness only happens in people who are predisposed to it or who already have borderline or narcissistic pathology prior to a kundalini awakening.
Is Kundalini awakening rare?
You've found the correct spot if you've had a Kundalini Awakening, are wondering about the Kundalini Awakening process, think you could have some of the symptoms of a Kundalini Awakening, or are looking for Kundalini Awakening support.
I've spent the last decade researching Kundalini Awakenings from all angles, including hearing from people who have experienced spontaneous awakenings and gone on to live healthy and productive lives. I've also totally integrated my Kundalini Awakening experience, and I now work with a number of students to help them integrate their awakenings, as well as teaching this (cheap) online Integrate Your Kundalin Awakening course.
Although a spontaneous waking can be frightening, Kundalini Awakening is our collective developmental destiny.
What is a Kundalini Awakening?
A complete Kundalini Awakening is an energetic event in which all of the psyche's knots and difficulties are healed. It's extremely uncommon and leads to enlightenment. The vast majority of people who have an energetic experience 99.999999 percent are only experiencing the beginnings of Kundalini movement in the body, not a full awakening.
This is nothing out of the ordinary, and the bells, lights, and whistles that might accompany any wakeup can become a source of distraction and impediment.
People can experience an energy shift that wakes layers of perception and temporarily activates the chakras. They have the ability to engage in certain unusual behaviors. A surge of energy rising from Muladhara, up the back of the spine, over the top of the head, and terminating in the forehead is the true Kundalini Awakening experience. The entire system has sprung to life.
Regardless, Kundalini Waking is the awakening of Kundalini energy, which lies at the base of the spine, whether it is a full experience or the beginnings of movement. In some manner, shape, or form, the energy begins to flow up the spine.
This burst of energy is unrelated to a person's culture, religion, or country of origin. While yogic scriptures often describe the experience, it is also known and referenced in other spiritual traditions. It is the human being's natural growth to come to consciousness as the truth of who they are.
What causes a Kundalini Awakening?
Kundalini was traditionally awakened through rigorous yoga practice. However, it's becoming increasingly frequent for people to have awakenings without any prior yoga experience or knowledge.
Intense energy work, drug usage, sexual experiences, abuse or trauma, yoga practice, or life events can all cause an awakening.
It's the first of many stages of awakening, not the final one! The true task of awakening and liberation begins now.
What are the symptoms of a Kundalini Awakening?
The indications and symptoms of Kundalini Awakening vary from person to person, and they are mostly determined by the energy blocks in the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual bodies. The signs and symptoms are usually related to the blocks, and the symptoms fade as the blocks are worked through and released.
Signs & Symptoms can include:
- Electricity in the body or internal lightening bolts are examples of energetic feelings.
- Shaking and jerking of the body, frequently completely out of the person's control
- Cold sensations in the body, as well as extreme heat sensations in the spine or certain chakras
- Kriyas (yoga practices), mudras (hand gestures), Bandas (body locks), asana, or pranayama that appear out of nowhere. Typically, the individual has never studied or learned any of these emergent habits.
- Buzzing, musical instruments, or thunder are examples of strange internal sounds that no one else can hear.
What is the process of a Kundalini Awakening?
While an awakening may appear to be a bizarre and out-of-control event, Kundalini is an intelligent and organic process with a purpose and a method for achieving that purpose.
The goal is to go through all of the psyche's illusions and tangles in order to re-orient the awakened person's life toward truth. This can be a difficult process because it implies the termination of relationships, work conditions, and previous ways of life. People who are unable to let go of the known and familiar sometimes try to hold on to people and situations. Suffering is caused by clinging to the past.
The smoother the process is, the more hard work a person has done before Kundalini Awakens. If the person has experienced a spontaneous awakening with minimal effort on their part, they are in for a difficult journey. Kundalini changes people on a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual level over time.
The most crucial part of effectively working with a Kundalini Awakening is a person's perspective on Reality. This is why having a good teacher who can impart the tradition's viewpoint is so important. The majority of people's problems with Kundalini arise from maintaining incorrect viewpoints, and the awakening can be skillfully integrated with a shift in viewpoint and the right practice. Integrate Your Kundalin Awakening, a four-week online course, covers all of this and more.
What are the benefits of a Kundalini Awakening?
When Kundalini emerges, a person may have a greater sense of empathy for others, almost telepathic empathy. Greater sensitivity, higher energy levels, sometimes psychic skills or deep understanding, aging can appear to slow down, creativity and charisma can rise, as can interior calm and wisdom, and aging can appear to slow down. It's as though you're a part of All That Is. Life's deeper secrets are no longer a mystery.
Where can I find help or support for my Kundalini Awakening?
There are several support groups on the internet, as well as literature about Kundalini Awakening. The finest type of assistance you can get is from an educated, skilled, and experienced yoga instructor who has gone through some form of awakening. They're uncommon, although not as uncommon as you may imagine. See who you can locate by asking around, using Google, and using your imagination. However, exercise caution and confidence in your own feelings and intuition.
And, yes, I do work one-on-one with clients who have had Kundalini Awakenings and want to integrate them. If this describes you, you can schedule a session with me by clicking here. Alternatively, you can enroll in the four-week course below for only $37US.