Being a spiritual leader resembles being a good Christian in that it requires you to love God and people. Basically, keep an eye on your own spiritual life. Make it a top priority in your life. Continue to grow in your relationship with God and seek Him as much as you seek a promotion or a new gym goal. Then there's loving others: making sure you're sacrificially loving your wife, encouraging her to be her best self, and standing firm when necessary.
Before You Continue...
Do you know what is your soul number? Take this quick quiz to find out! Get a personalized numerology report, and discover how you can unlock your fullest spiritual potential. Start the quiz now!
How do you become a spiritual leader in a relationship?
Matt Ayers joins the cast of Heart of Dating! Matt is a good friend of Kait's and was instrumental in the founding of Vintage Church in Santa Monica, California. He's been married to his lovely wife Stephanie for six years.
Vintage Church in Los Angeles is led by Matthew Ayers, who is a founder member, treasurer, and executive board member. Outside of church, Matthew works at Alex Brown, where he handles the investments of a few very affluent families. Matt, his wife Stephanie, and their two daughters Riley and Dylan live in West Los Angeles. He is a voracious reader, golfer, and traveler.
Kait was blown away by Matt's contributions and convictions when she heard him talk on discipleship at their yearly church retreat a few years ago. Kait hunted him down shortly after at a leadership event hosted by their church and asked him follow-up questions. Since then, Kait has gotten to know him and his wife, Steph, and has grown to like and admire both of them for the way they approach marriage and mentor and disciple others.
Today, Matt and Kait discuss discipleship and spiritual leadership, with a focus on how it pertains to males in romantic relationships. It's a very interesting discussion. They also debate gender roles and leadership at the conclusion, which is fantastic, so make sure you stick around until the end to hear what they have to say!
Why is spiritual leadership important for men?
- Being a spiritual leader is as simple as living a life that exemplifies Christ and allowing others to recognize Jesus-like attributes in your actions.
- Spiritual leadership is a way of life, whereas discipleship is an intentional act.
- Even if we don't realize it, we're always teaching. As a result, we must be deliberate in our instruction.
How do you practical being a spiritual leader in singleness and in dating?
- Being a spiritual leader is about being focused on God, whether you're single or not.
- When you're single, you have more time to devote to God than at any other point in your life.
- If you're dating, you should assess and ensure that your distinct Christian journeys are compatible.
- Set high criteria for yourself and don't compromise… but you must also ask yourself, “Is it possible that YOU are the person they're seeking for?
- “A Christian boy or girl will be smitten by the Jesus they see in YOU.”
- You can't put a relationship's want first; you have to put God first. Prepare to be unmarried and to first fall in love with God.
How do you think being a spiritual leader in a dating relationship plays out for men?
- Keep in mind that dating and marriage are two different things. It's not your business to change or mold someone into a certain persona.
- When you're dating, you're merely getting to know someone to determine if you want to marry them.
What are some essential steps in our life that we can take to become better spiritual leaders?
- Know and love the Lord Jesus Christ. You'll become more like Him as you learn more about Him, and you'll gain a deeper understanding of yourself.
- Humble yourself. Despite having complete authority, Jesus came to earth as a servant. Being a leader necessitates devotion.
- Because marriage is one of the most unselfish and sacrificial acts, we must follow Jesus' example in John 13. Serving others is how Jesus leads.
Why do you think having a “Board of Advisors is important?
- Possessing a “A “Board of Advisors” is just a group of people you trust and can turn to for godly advice and accountability.
- Mentors can assist you in taking care of yourself and your family “You won't be able to offer to anyone else if you don't take care of yourself.”
- Dating is an assessment, and you want to make an objective assessment. It helps to have a board that isn't emotionally invested.
How can women in a relationship have a voice as well?
- It is the same instruction for both men and women. Love for Jesus, love for others, and discipleship for others are our mandates.
- When it comes to co-leading, Scripture does specify gender roles, however these texts are sometimes taken out of context.
- The word “submission” does not have a negative connotation. Jesus, in turn, bowed to God the Father. God has redefined what it means to be in charge.
What does God say about husbands role?
The Bible makes several references to marriage's sacredness and beauty. Its poetic love scriptures perfectly summarize what it means to be in love and to commit yourself for the rest of your life to your significant other. These Bible passages about marriage are the perfect complement to your wedding vows, and they make lovely readings to help make your ceremony even more memorable. Consider utilizing other Bible verses about love that everyone may relate to for your reception toast, wedding programs, or invites. After all, there are a plethora of ways to love one another that aren't limited to marriage.
1:2728: Genesis 1:2728: “So God made man in his own image, in the likeness of God; male and female, he formed them. They were also blessed by God. ‘Be fruitful and multiply, fill the land and tame it, and have dominion over the sea creatures, the birds of the skies, and all living things that move on the earth,' God commanded.”
2:1415 Malachi 2:1415 Malachi 2:1415 Malachi 2:14 “‘However, why doesn't he?' you ask. Because the LORD was a witness between you and your youth's bride, to whom you have been unfaithful, despite the fact that she is your companion and by covenant your wife.”
3. Isaiah 54:5 says, “For your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of all the world is his name.”
4. Song of Solomon, verses 87: “Set me as a seal on your heart and arm, since love is as strong as death, and jealousy is as deadly as the grave. Its flashes are fire flashes, the LORD's holy flame. Love is not quenched by many waters, nor is it drowned by floods. If a guy surrendered all of his fortune for love, he would be completely loathed.”
5. Ephesians 4:2-3: “With all humility and gentleness, with patient, bearing with one another in love, eager to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace,” says Paul.
6. Colossians 3:14: “And put on love, which binds all these virtues together in perfect unity.”
7. Ecclesiastes 4:9, Ecclesiastes 4:9, Ecclesiastes 4: “Two people are better than one because they get a better return on their investment: if one of them falls down, the other can help the other get up. But pity the person who falls and has no one to assist them in getting up. Furthermore, if two people lie down together, they will stay warm. But how does one keep warm on their own?”
8. Ephesians 5:25 (NIV) “This means that men must love their spouses as Christ loved the church. For her, he gave up his life.”
“Therefore, a man shall leave his father and mother and hold tight to his wife, and they shall become one flesh,” says Genesis 2:24.
Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV): “Two can protect themselves, even though one is overpowered. Three-stranded cords take a long time to break.”
11. Mark 10:9 says, “Let no one divide what God has joined together.”
12. Ephesians 5:25-33: Ephesians 5:25-33: “Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, that he might cleanse her by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or anything like that, that she might be holy and without blemish. Husbands should adore their spouses as if they were their own bodies. He who loves his wife is also in love with himself. For no one has ever despised his own body, but rather nurtures and cherishes it, as Christ does the church,…”
How do I lead my wife spiritually?
5. Check in with her to see how her day is going. While you're at work, send her a text or give her a brief call. Make it clear to her that you care.
6. Pay attention to what she has to say. It shows you care when you listen to what she says and perhaps even inquire about it afterwards. And she's considerably more likely to take the advice of someone she cares about.
7. Pay attention to the things she doesn't say. I understand. This one is a little more difficult. But it's equally vital. Though you may believe we never hold back because we speak thousands of words each day more than you, we do. Our deepest anxieties, worries, and insecurities.
8. Recognize when she has taken on too many obligations and let her know. It can be difficult for us to say no at times. Please assist us. (Yes, this is a difficult one, and we may not listen at first, but speak out.)
9. Recognize when she is lonely and provide her encouragement. Your wife, believe it or not, requires the company and encouragement of other women. While I'm sure she appreciates taking care of her family and you most of the time, I'm sure she will enjoy it even more when she has other women to chat to and bounce ideas off of (or do you really want to hear about how difficult it is to get stains out of cloth diapers yet another time?) So, if your wife is avoiding events at church, after work, or with her regular group of friends because she's too busy at home, tell her that such things can wait, and urge her to come out and have some girl time. It'll most likely be therecharge that she requires.
10. Don't make her feel obligated to obey (or submit) you. Good leaders aren't required to impose their authority. And a wife's submission to her husband is a free act on her part, as is her obedience to God. So don't offer her any excuses for not doing so.
11. Pay attention to the things she does for you and your family. Tell her how much you value her efforts.
12.Start more and settle less. I believe that many times wives step into the leadership role in the home because their husbands refuse or are hesitant to do so. So, whether it's paying a bill or disciplining one of your children, don't wait for her to offer advice on how to address an issue. You take responsibility of the tasks at hand.
13. Consider your function as a husband to be a divine calling. Husbands can excel when they first understand they've been called to lead their wives and families, just as wives blossom when they see the purpose God has called them to as a wife or a mother.
14. Prioritize your personal relationship with God. It will be more difficult for you to make the proper choices and decisions for your family if God isn't foremost in your life, and it will be even more difficult for your wife to follow you.
15.Be the first to express regret. If you have a disagreement with your wife, don't wait for her to apologize first. You are the one who starts the conversation. You're taking charge of your marriage and family by doing so.
16. Take advice from other men on how to lead. Find spiritual mentors in your church that have strong marriages and strong spiritual walks. Examine how they lead their spouses and families and inquire about their methods.
17. Allow her to have some alone time. Take the kids on a Saturday morning outing, even if it's only to the grocery store, and allow her some time to do whatever she wants with the caveat that it can't involve chores.
18. Take care of her mental health by giving her a bubble bath every now and then. Remind her how important it is to take time off.
19. Take charge of your children's discipline. Don't rely solely on your wife to raise your children. Take an active role in your children's lives, including teaching them the difference between right and wrong.
20. Look for small methods to let her know you're thinking about her. When my spouse is at home, he makes it a point to always pack me up when I fly. It's something he excels at, and it makes me feel good to know he's keeping an eye on me.
How do I help my husband grow spiritually?
This one may appear to be self-evident, yet it's easy to overlook. You could go weeks or months without sitting together in an actual church service if you're volunteering in the children's ministry or another area during the normal worship service. There's nothing wrong with serving (it's why we included it on this list), but don't let it become an impediment to spiritual growth.
What are the 4 skills to dare to lead?
However, no major achievement is achieved without a series of setbacks, disappointments, obstacles, and failures. Leadership necessitates bravery, and bravery necessitates a unique type of vulnerability.
There are four skill sets for courageous leadership, according to Dr. Brené Brown's work, as documented in her book Dare to Lead.
“You can't get to courage without rumbling with vulnerability,” Brené Brown explains. When you can't control the outcome, this means having the bravery to show up fully. Every meeting, email, phone call, and face-to-face contact inside and beyond the business is about being vulnerable in your connections with others.
What is Christianity's spiritual leader?
Jesus is a religious figure whose life and teachings are documented in the New Testament of the Bible. He is a prominent figure in Christianity, and many Christians around the world look up to him as the incarnation of God.
What are the five duties of man?
The following are the six major moral responsibilities of a man:
- Respect for Life: It is man's primary responsibility to respect his own and other people's lives.